That form of approach is one of the main reasons the AndAppStore
system can download an encrypted license to the device which can be
stored and decrypted as neccessary. This means developers can;

1) Occasionally check the license is still valid by retrying to
download it, and if it doesn't download due to a network/server error
the app can use the locally cached copy.

2) Because the client code is open developers can embed it wherever
they want in their program logic as opposed to being a single library
which can be stripped out and replaced with an "always return true"
version.

3) Detect spoof servers because a spoof server will be unable to
return a properly encrypted file and thus developers can detect
decryption errors and mark them as spoofing attempts.

Al.