This does not seem to make a lot of sense. My decision to go with
built in icons in the OS was to provide a unified user experience. So
if those icons are changed in some version of custom build of the
Android OS, all the apps that use those icons will have a coherent
menu icons. Makes a lot of sense in terms of usability for the users.
(it also reduces the package size somewhat, right?).

So if the above is right, it seems completely unreasonable not to
expose the home icon to the public usage.

Thanks,
Max.