The  biggest problem for supporting SIP based VoIP on android is the
capability of the android media framework.

As for example, if you refer to this table:
http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/media-formats.html..most of the
media encoders are not present.

There is no use for having only a decoder for codecs, as in a SIP based VoIP
session, you will need both the encoder and the decoder for bidirectional
"SENDRECV" streaming of media.

Most SIP clients use SDP as a means of codec negotiation. Going by that
table, we can only use AMR-NB for voice and H.263 for video in the SDP offer
for a SIP based session.

As a workaround, sipdroid uses its own G.711 and H.264 codec by making use
of a native library and JNI calls.

For SIP/VoIP, playing from a static resource on the device is hardly a
requirement.