> Doesn't the Android Maps API TOS refer to and incorporate the general Google
> Maps API TOS (with the prohibition about charging for the app)?

I don't think so ...

Section 1.2:
1.2. Unless otherwise agreed in writing with Google, the Terms will include
the following: 1) the terms and conditions set forth in this document (the
"Maps APIs Terms"); 2) the Legal Notices (
http://www.google.com/intl/en-us/help/legalnotices_maps.html); and 3) the
Privacy Policy (http://www.google.com/privacy.html). Before you use the Maps
APIs, you should read each of the documents comprising the Terms, and print
or save a local copy for your records.

As far as I can tell, that doesn't include the general Maps TOS. Does it say
otherwise somewhere else? (I really only skimmed it)

Also, in section 1.3 of the Android Maps TOS:
If there is any contradiction between what any Additional Terms say and what
the Maps APIs Terms say, then the Maps APIs Terms will take precedence only
as it relates to the Maps APIs, and not to any other Services.

To me that means that even if there is a conflict, the Android Maps TOS
takes precedence over the general TOS as it applies to Android Apps.

However if people are charging for Android apps with the Maps API then I
> guess the answer is that Google does not think there is a prohibition
> against charging for such an app.

Agreed. There are TONS of paid apps that use Google maps (including my own)
and they are not being pulled or banned (as far as I know and I, at least,
haven't been issued any warning regarding this use).

Also, IANAL - I love that acronym btw =)

TreKing - Chicago transit tracking app for Android-powered devices
http://sites.google.com/site/rezmobileapps/treking