WARNING: IANAL / IANAGE

If the Google Maps API terms are to be taken into account, then
publishing a paid app with a map could be considered a violation. Just
because your app hasn't been pulled doesn't mean a thing. I'm guessing
at least 50% of the apps in the market violate the market terms for
violation of copyrights (every sound board for instance), and they
aren't being pulled either. Does that mean they are in compliance or
does it mean that Google isn't proactive in enforcing their terms at
the moment?

According to definition, a "commercial" application is one that is
used for, connected with, engaged in, sponsored by or used in commerce
or commercial enterprises, such as "AP News" or "Best Buy" shopping. A
non-commercial application might be for a non-profit, a hobby site or
something along that line.

An application that requires payment to use is absolutely a non-free
use of the maps and is in violation of 9.1 of the Maps API TOS.

Then again, what do I know?

WARNING: IANAL / IANAGE (I a not Google Employee, however, I've
visited the Googleplex!)

-John Coryat