On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 15:43, ian <stilbit...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the interesting suggestion, although it sounds a little
> technical for my limited expertise.
>
> I don't like the idea of the users having to download all that data
> every time they use my program. That basically turns the app into just
> a web site, sort of.
>
> I could probably shrink it all from 15 to 5MB with only a minor loss
> of quality and content.
>
> If this limit is only a problem with 1.5 and 1.6 , and the first
> Android phones in Canada are Droids, then I suppose I just have to
> upgrade my program to 2.0 and hope nothing breaks.

A lot of android apps use this technique : download images to SD card on
first run (in fact if it detects data is not there on the card). You get a
popup asking if ok to download. This is a one time download, not every time
you use the app.
Even in android platform, text to speech data has to be downloaded before it
can be used (depending on the phones... this is true for space limited G1,
and also for my french Magic).

Anyway, I consider application using more than 3MB as big ones, and more
than 5MB as very big ones. 15MB is a no-go, even if it worked ok at download
time from market.
And this is with a HTC Magic. G1 users with half the internal memory would
be even more reluctent to install such big apps.

Future android release  will allow installation of apps on sdcard (2.1 does
not), which could allow bigger apks....

Also note that having separated apk and data allows upgrade of one whithout
re-downloading the other. Else, any upgrade of your app, even minor, would
imply the re-download of 15MB from market.