Well, keep in mind that every smart phone needs a data plan.. at least for
the contracts. So pretty much every smartphone will at least have a 3G
account enabled. If a user is weary of internet access.. don't install the
app. If they want a great app that doesn't require 1/2 the app user space,
then they have to sacrifice access to the internet. Frankly, I'd rather have
a small app that can download and use new additions than one big bulky app.
To play devils advocate, however, I can see how you pay for an app, and most
apps are small and ready to go when you install.. having to actually wait
for more content to download sucks in some cases. Especially if you
installed the app and are now outside coverage area or the download is very
large and thus takes a while.

How about an alternative. Why not provide a couple pics with the app,
allowing the rest to be downloaded in the background or by user selection
only when needed. I think I would do a game like that as well.. one that
allowed for new levels. Simply provide two or so levels with the game, and
allow for more levels to be downloaded on the SD card. This allows games to
add new stuff without requiring it to be updated.. if it's developed in that
manner.