thanks. now i understand it. Config.DEBUG is "for DEVICE" and not "for
APK".

i need some info to tell my apk which of map api key to use.  here are
the 2 cases:

(1). build apk by selecting Eclipse "Run> Run As" or "Run> Debug As"
menu option. in this case, the apk is a DEBUG built and is signed by
"Android Debug" key. hence, the apk must use the map api key applied
with the md5 checksum of "Android Debug" key. no matter on which of
emulator or real handset the apk runs, it is a DEBUG built.

(2). build apk by selcting "Android Tools> Export Signed Application"
menu option. in this case, the apk is a RELEASE built and is signed by
my key. so the apk must use the map api key applied with the md5
checksum of my key.

is there any way for my apk to programmatically know that it itself is
a DEBUG or RELEASE built without changing manifest debuggable
attribute so that my apk can choose the right map api key?

or, my question can be: is there any way for my apk to know by which
of DEBUG/RELEASE key it was signed?