Koen Kooi schrieb:

That won't work. Unsupported stuff has no place in documentation. If
it doesn't work, it should be tracked down why it doesn't work and get
fixed.
I just set up another buildmachine following the instructions to the
letter, and it worked.

Ok, I started a temporary testing page for "Building Angstrom" at the
Wiki [1]. I am unable to test the apt-get stuff. Can someone who has
tested it add it to the page?

I guess I was unclear when I said:

Unsupported stuff has no place in documentation.

That means:

Unsupported stuff does NOT get mentioned in the documentation.

The building angstrom page will only list only *ONE* *SINGLE* way to install it, and we must make sure that that works.

The install guide should guide people through the steps of setting OE up for angstrom so that they get to see the different parts of OE (bitbake, metadata, local.conf, updating metadata) and thus have a better understanding of it. Hiding this behind magic makefiles or scripts only results in treating people like retards instead of respecting their current skillset and trying to expand that.

What you are trying to do now is *exactly* the reason the building-angstrom page wasn't in a wiki.

Now, please explain to me why building-angstrom is now duplicated in a wikipage and why the wiki page shouldn't get deleted.

Well I got it wrong. I thought you tested the apt-get stuff and found it working fine.

I started the wiki page one day before because you mentioned that it would be ok to place it at the wiki.

The page itself is clearly marked as temporary (we still have no discussion pages) and isn't linked anywhere except this mailing list for discussion. I'm so much used to write wiki entrys in mediawiki syntax so it takes a lot of time to learn a new syntax. For this reason I wanted to have a page where the building guide can grow. After it is in a shape you like you can copy the source of the page to the official wiki page and make it read only. But as I mentioned before we need a discussion page for it where it can grow. Easy typos and version upgrades can be added to the discussion page and after review it can get into the offical page. It is really a shame that moinmoin wiki does not support discussion pages without an add on (see other thread) :(. I administrate the opensimpad.org wiki now for over two years and it is a tool which I really miss.
Please contribute to the "discussion page" thread as well.

best regards
Bernhard Guillon