Junqian Gordon Xu wrote:
On 09/22/2008 12:14 PM, Philip Balister wrote:
Koen Kooi wrote:
Bob Igo wrote:

Koen Kooi wrote:
Ah, that error is one of that random libtool ones we fixed in .dev:
'bitbake -c clean libtool-cross ; bitbake -c clean fontconfig'

Thanks for helping me work around that. How does this fix get
propagated to the stable branch so that others don't run into that same
problem?

The fix would be hundreds of commits large, since it's tied it to the
toolchain overhaul, sysroot changes and libtool 2.x changes. So
that's sadly not feasible to do.
The good news however is that a new stable branch based on current
.dev is being prepared, which should land in a few weeks if things
work out ok.
The current stable branch will still be supported for 3 months after
the new stable branch has been started.

I think we should "support" the current stable branch for as long as
we can manage. Hopefully, people will still use devices based on it
for longer than three months.

I agree with Philip's statement. Reasons:

I disagree since we all accepted the RFC that stated that a stable branch will only be support for 3 months after a new stable branch has been started.

1) two key components: kdrive 1.4.0 and udev in the current dev branch
are broken for many handheld devices.

Kdrive is fixable and I'm extremely annoyed by people claiming the new udev is broken since those exact same people were the ones asking for it to get upgraded. And FWIW, udev from .dev works fine on all the devices I tested it on.

2) mtn to git switch date is uncertain

That has *nothing* to do with starting a new stable branch.