Brian, Michael,

I am very interested in this work.  IF I can get somewhat up to speed,
and IF I can sort out the travel support, I would very much like to come
early to Chicago and participate in a Hackathon.  If it does not work
out, I live two hours from Ottawa by car, so I could possibly visit my
children and have a (smaller) hackathon in Ottawa with Michael.

I have in my lab at Concordia a collection of ten (older) PCs running
Ubuntu, plus two collections of 4 machines running a variety of Linux
flavors.  I don't have any IPv6 support (yet) in the lab, but the
university does have an IPv6 address range assigned, and I am sure that
I could get my hands on as many (small) pieces of this as I could need.
(If not, I can always set up my Freenet6 /56 at the university.
However, Freenet6 is about to go away...)

Getting up to speed is partly the reading that I have to do, and partly
finding a suitable Master's student to dig into the project.

For Chicago, I could probably bring three Dell Latitude laptops: E5450
(i5-5200U, Windows 7, Ubuntu), E6400 (Core 2 Duo P9500, Windows 7,
Ubuntu), C600 (Pentium III, Lubuntu only).

Bill

> Apart from me and Michael, who else wants to work on code and run
> it in Chicago on March 25 and 26? We need BRSKI, ACP and GRASP.
>
> Regards
>    Brian
>
> On 30/12/2016 14:19, Michael Richardson wrote:
>>
>> Brian and I have been discussing thoughts about an ANIMA Hackathon at IETF94.
>>
>> The question has been: how much code would be ready, and how much
>> interoperation could be actually attempt!
>>
>> In my mind the first bakeoff/hackathon will likely be a bit underwhelming
>> because people won't have enough code yet.  That's okay: the point is to
>> invite people to come and consider how they are going to do things.
>> i.e. this is as much marketing is it is interoperation, but it's
>>      marketing to get participation in the future!!!!
>>
>> We can't plan just the one hackathon.
>>
>> From my point of view, I see the several stages/actors of bootstrap.
>> I'm listing them because they can be mock'ed if someone has no code for this.
>>
>> 1) registrar.
>> 2) network of ACP nodes running GRASP, of which one is a willing proxy.
>> 3) new pledge
>> 4) vendor / manufacturer CA
>>
>> I have some (RubyOnRails) code that can operate as a bit of a registrar, and
>> I'll have more by March that can do more EST things, but the code I have now
>> can be used to manually generate certificates.  So, ANIMA systems that
>> don't have bootstrap code could be manually bootstrapped, and we likely will
>> learn something doing that.
>>
>> The network of ACP nodes running GRASP, at least on Linux, is "trivial" to
>> setup in a mock situation.
>>
>> At least, it's easy for me to do, and I would very much be happy to share
>> that experience, so you'd have "installed ACP code".
>>
>> Could we find someone with enough Microsoft Windows IPsec clue to set up
>> tunnel on Windows, and figure out how to get the right certificates loaded?
>> I dunno... maybe someone here knows how.  Also Cisco, Juniper, Ericsson, etc
>> routers might be manually configured to do ACP tunnels; and we likely learn
>> something trying to make things interoperate.
>>
>> So even if we couldn't get RPL to operate across a multi-platform situation,
>> we might still be able to, for instance, M_FLOOD something across a bunch of
>> IPsec P2P tunnels connecting things.  That would be a significant
>> accomplishment in my mind for a first attempt.
>>

>> --
>> Michael Richardson <mcr+i...@sandelman.ca>, Sandelman Software Works
>>  -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

Dr. J.W. Atwood, Eng.             tel:   +1 (514) 848-2424 x3046
Distinguished Professor Emeritus  fax:   +1 (514) 848-2830
Department of Computer Science
   and Software Engineering
Concordia University EV 3.185     email:william.atw...@concordia.ca
1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. West    http://users.encs.concordia.ca/~bill