On 07/03/2018 07:27, Michael Richardson wrote:

> Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>     >> >   a) The above "transport-proto /= 41" is technically an update to
>     >> > GRASP RFC which allows only UDP / TCP. There is some process around
>     >>
>     >> really?
>     >> QUESTION to Brian.
>
>     > It's an extension, which seems to me is not strictly speaking
>     > an update. So the WG has two choices, IMHO:
>
>     > 1. Leave it here described as an extension, don't touch the GRASP spec.
>     > 2. Add this to the CDDL in GRASP at AUTH48, with the AD's approval.
>
>     > The addition would give:
>
>     > transport-proto = IPPROTO_TCP / IPPROTO_UDP / IPPROTO_IPV6
>     > IPPROTO_TCP = 6
>     > IPPROTO_UDP = 17
>     > IPPROTO_IPV6 = 41
>
>     > (It is not an accident that the names chosen are those used
>     > in the socket API. Sadly, they are not maintained by IANA.)
>
> I guess I thought that any value from
>   https://www.iana.org/assignments/protocol-numbers/protocol-numbers.xml
> was valid.

That was certainly my thinking, but we surely didn't want to write
out the CDDL for the whole registry.

>>   Note 3: The IPPROTO values are taken from the existing IANA Protocol
>>   Numbers registry in order to specify TCP or UDP.  If GRASP requires
>>   future values that are not in that registry, a new registry for
>>   values outside the range 0..255 will be needed.
>
> "not in that registry", and IPV6=41, is in that registry.
> While there a bunch which probably are nonsense to use (e.g, PRM)
> a bunch are relatively clear: SCTP, RDP, DCCP...

Yes. To my mind, an application of GRASP can choose to add any valid
protocol number to its use of GRASP.  So I think we are OK without
changing the GRASP text.

The tricky bit is if we want to add a non-IP protocol such as HTTP,
which is where we would need a new registry for values >255.

> I believe that the answer is to move all the IPIP specification to another
> document.

Well, you can use 41 in BRSKI with a reference to that "Note 3" in GRASP,
I think. "As mentioned in Note 3 of the definition of the Locator IPv6 address
option
in [GRASP],..."

    Brian