NOTE: The announcement to announce@ was delayed for 12 hours compared to the
same email to users@ due to the sender lock-down of announce@. We promise it
won’t happen again, at least until the next time a new release manager sends an
The Open MPI Team, representing a consortium of research, academic, and
industry partners, is pleased to announce the release of Open MPI version 3.0.0.
v3.0.0 is the start of a new release series for Open MPI. Open MPI 3.0.0
enables MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE by default, so a build option to Open MPI is no
longer required to enable thread support. Additionally, the embedded PMIx
runtime has been updated to 2.1.0 and the embedded hwloc has been updated to
1.11.7. There have been numerous other bug fix and performance improvements.
Version 3.0.0 can be downloaded from the main Open MPI web site:
Major new features:
- Use UCX allocator for OSHMEM symmetric heap allocations to optimize intra-node
data transfers. UCX SPML only.
- Use UCX multi-threaded API in the UCX PML. Requires UCX 1.0 or later.
- Added support for Flux PMI
- Update embedded PMIx to version 2.1.0
- Update embedded hwloc to version 1.11.7
Changes in behavior compared to prior versions:
- Per Open MPI's versioning scheme (see the README), increasing the
major version number to 3 indicates that this version is not
ABI-compatible with prior versions of Open MPI. In addition, there may
be differences in MCA parameter names and defaults from previous releases.
Command line options for mpirun and other commands may also differ from
previous versions. You will need to recompile MPI and OpenSHMEM applications
to work with this version of Open MPI.
- With this release, Open MPI supports MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE by default.
- New configure options have been added to specify the locations of libnl
- A new configure option has been added to request Flux PMI support.
- The help menu for mpirun and related commands is now context based.
"mpirun --help compatibility" generates the help menu in the same format
as previous releases.
Removed legacy support:
- AIX is no longer supported.
- Loadlever is no longer supported.
- OpenSHMEM currently supports the UCX and MXM transports via the ucx and ikrit
- Remove IB XRC support from the OpenIB BTL due to lack of support.
- Remove support for big endian PowerPC.
- Remove support for XL compilers older than v13.1
- MPI_Connect/accept between applications started by different mpirun
commands will fail, even if ompi-server is running.
announce mailing list