The biggest caveat here is that groups with a slash (/) in the name no longer
work in the latest version of ansible. It treats everything up to but excluding
the first slash as the group name.

We were doing this for a while but broke it out so there was no overlap by
having a prefix for each group that defined the group's scope, E.g.

site/site1
site/site2
site-env/site1-prod
site-env/site1-testing
env/sand
env/testing

It's no longer hierarchical, but still takes advantage of folders for
organization, and you can set lookup priority by, E.g., making
site-env/site1-testing a child of the env/testing group.

To make this compatible with the latest ansible, I replaced slashes with
underscores. It's not as pretty but it works.