On Fri, 21 May 2004, Dossy wrote:

> No, the point is that in the future they WILL learn and use Tcl, but in
> order to make the initial switch, they don't HAVE to start from scratch
> and spend a long time climbing the learning curve before they can feel
> really productive again.

Ok, that's a good position!

> > Actually, I think it is, at this time, better to run PHP on Apache,
> > even though it can be run on AOLserver.
>
> Why do you think this?  What specifically makes you think or feel this
> way?

It's a while back when I tried to run PHP in AOLserver, but the
following contributes to it:

- Instability. At that time PHP crashed AOLserver easily.
- Few people in the AOLserver community use PHP. It says a lot that few
  people know for sure if it works.
- The AOLserver support code in PHP did look very primitive. I didn't saw
  any code calling AOLserver APIs to get access to http headers etc.,
  which meant a lot of functionality would not be present in PHP.
- Apache is the "supported" webserver for PHP.
- Easy to install. It's much easier to install Apache+PHP from my Linux CD
  than the process of downloading, configuring, install all headers it
  needs and compiling it to get PHP compiled for AOLserver.

  And why not use PHP on Apache? All that's needed is an extra IP-address
  and Apache and AOLserver and share their server like brothers, both
  doing what the're good at.

> > This is an issue the project would then need to focus on.
>
> Yes, once we can identify why people might feel or think the way you do,
> we can identify ways to address those reasons.

That's the way to go :)

Daniël