>From Roger Duncan, Pomology Farm Advisor, UC Cooperative Extension, Stanislaus
>County
"Fall can be an excellent time to apply certain nutrients if trees are
deficient.
Nitrogen. Nitrogen utilized by trees and vines for early season shoot and fruit
growth comes
from reserves stored in the roots and other woody tissues of the plant. This is
why it is
important to enter into dormancy with adequate nitrogen reserves. UC Extension
pomologist
Scott Johnson has shown that a low biuret urea foliar spray just prior to
natural leaf senescence
is an excellent method of supplying nitrogen to peach trees. At least 80% of
the nitrogen is
absorbed into the leaf within 24 hours. The nitrogen is then readily
translocated out of the leaf
and into long-term storage. Trees low in nitrogen because of nematodes, a high
water table or
other root problems should certainly benefit from this spray. This is also an
excellent way to
provide nitrogen without risk of ground water contamination.
Each spray supplies about 50 pounds of actual N per acre. That means if a
granular
formulation of low biuret urea is used (which is almost 50% N), you need to
apply about 100
pounds of product per acre. If a second application is necessary, it should be
applied at least
two weeks after the first application. Within a few days, you should start to
see some burn
along leaf margins and at the tips. Defoliation will probably progress a little
more quickly than
normal."

Urea application on peach in New Jersey have not been observed to be effective
in increasing tissue N in leaves buds and shoots. (Much research on this
subject in Fruit Nutrition by Childers and others)   If  N tissue levels were
increased as they are with N soil applications then N deficient peach trees may
be healthier and more winter hardy,  I am not aware of any research
demonstrating a delay in bloom with urea foliar applications.

Jerome L "Jerry" Frecon
Professor Emeritus, Rutgers University
And Horticultural Consultant for
www:jerseypeaches.com