From: apple-crop [mailto:apple-crop-boun...@virtualorchard.com] On Behalf Of
Brian Alan Caldwell
Sent: Friday, October 06, 2017 7:34 AM
To: Apple-Crop discussion list <apple-crop@virtualorchard.com>
Subject: [Apple-Crop] satiny vs papery skin

I have two orchard locations, one in a valley and a nearby one on a hilltop.
I'm mystified by a "dry skin" quality in the valley farm.
I graded Liberty apples last night and the differences between the two sites
were dramatic.  Hilltop-smooth, satiny finish; dark color; long "red delicious"
shape.  Valley-shiny finish; bright color; spherical shape.  Jonagolds and
Idareds from the valley have an almost papery skin; much smoother/waxier from
the hilltop.
I've seen this in past years too...
Any ideas as to what is going on?

Brian Caldwell