From: apple-crop [mailto:apple-crop-boun...@virtualorchard.com] On Behalf Of
kuffelcr...@kuffelcreek.com
Sent: Friday, October 06, 2017 10:08 AM
To: Apple-Crop discussion list <apple-crop@virtualorchard.com>
Subject: Re: [Apple-Crop] satiny vs papery skin

Mosbah's comment rings true here in our hot dry climate of So. Calif.; our
Liberty apples look like they've been stepped on, almost to the point of a
donut peach. They still fatten up girth wise, but I've always thought it was
something to do with irrigation.  Thanks for solving a mystery.

Kevin Hauser
Kuffel Creek Apple Nursery
Riverside, California

 On Fri, 6 Oct 2017 14:35:04 +0000, "Kushad, Mosbah M"
<kus...@illinois.edu>
wrote:
> Brian :  Fruit shape and color are affected by growing climate/region..
> Red Delicious fruits grown in warmer climate are likely to be round or
flat
> while those in northern regions tend to be oblong (so called type or
> is
it
> typy like shiny).  I recall from memory that an extension publication
> showed that apples from North Carolina were more round and flat while
those
> from either NY or Washington? were oblong.  This is likely to be
regulated
> by hormones since you can make fruits more oblong shape with Promalin
(GA4
> +GA7 + 6-BA).   Skin finish is also affected by humidity and
temperature.
> High humidity and high temperature tend to make fruit color more dull
while
> low humidity and cooler daytime temperature tend to make fruit color
more
> shiny with smoother finish.
>
> Mosbah Kushad, University of Illinois

Behalf