From: apple-crop@virtualorchard.net [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Kevin A. Iungerman
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2007 11:12 AM
To: apple-crop@virtualorchard.net; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Apple-Crop: Gravel mining impacts on bordering orchard?

Hello everyone.

I was contacted by a friend with a small orchard near Buffalo, MN who
has learned that a new property owner plans to surface mine gravel on
land adjacent to, and upslope of his small orchard.  Eventually, the
property owner intends to sub-divide the land after the gravel is
removed.

As the neighbor's intent suggests, the orchard itself is a
considerably gravelly-loam soil, although, as happens on the prairie,
there is a small wetland and small lake to the other side of the
orchard, so obviously, some underlying areas have either good clay
content  and compacted layers (or less likely, stone ledge).

I was asked, but did not know what the hydrological impacts might be
upon the orchard (if any) - save surface water run-off when soils are
either frozen or at field capacity.

For my friend's benefit, and also my own elucidation -- and possibly,
to similar gain for others out there -- I am interested in learning
of possible negative ramifications of such a venture, from persons
with similar circumstance or with particular knowledge in this regard.

Thanks much.

Best Regards,  Kevin Iungerman.

--
Kevin Iungerman, Extension Associate
Cornell Northeastern NY Commercial Fruit Program

"Possibilities begin with people sharing ideas and working together."

Clements <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

Apple-Crop is not moderated. Therefore, the statements do not represent
"official" opinions and the Virtual Orchard takes no responsibility for
the content.