To: "Apple-Crop" <apple-crop@virtualorchard.net>
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2010 3:53 PM
Subject: Re: Apple-Crop: For Discussion: Pesticide Applications Rates and Tree Row Vol...

Hi Art,
In our case we started our AM program July 1. While scouting the orchard just prior to making the second application two weeks later, I observed scary levels of adult activity, but I figured maybe I had washed out of coverage or that these were newly emerged adults that weren't yet mature and hadn't been killed by the Avaunt yet. I never suspected that the material was not effective. Unfortunately, the story became clear as I began to observe high incidence of egg laying in the fruit.

I believe that Avaunt is just a lot less effective against Apple Maggot than I thought when I chose it from the list of control options. Since the end of the season I have found four different insecticide trials that showed Avaunt performing poorly against Apple Maggot. There could also have been mitigating circumstances in 2009 not related to Avaunt that contributed to the high incidence of damage. It was wet which aided emergence of the Apple Maggot adults from the soil. The rain might have impacted the insecticide cover on the tree canopy, etc... but DuPont believes that by applying the TRV methodology in calculating the rate I reduced the dose below what they say the product needs to be effective. They could have referenced other factors but specifically blamed TRV for the failure.

I believe that TRV is a method to express acreage as a volume of space. DuPont only wants to recognize acreage as an area of land, regardless of tree size. If an "acre" is a function of tree area I applied the full rate. If an acre is an area of land only, then I did apply too little of the product. As a practical matter, then how do we adjust our sprayers as we go from block to block of different size trees?

Do you know what other products failed to control AM this past season, or the circumstances surrounding the failures?

More growers than I expected are still using OP's like Imidan and I am not aware of any control failures in orchards where OP's were used.

Regards,
Jonathan Bishop

Jill Kelly wrote:
Jonathan, you are not the only orchard to experience severe apple maggot damage this past season. I don't believe any consensus has been arrived at as to when or how. In some cases it has been felt to have been early damage. In others it has mainly impacted later varieties such as Cortland, Red Del, etc. In others use of pyrethroids has been implicated or heavy rain wash-off.

Art Kelly
Kelly Orchards
Acton, Me
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jonathan B. Bishop" <jbbis...@comcast.net>