Hi,

As travel speeds increase, this may increase turbulence, increasing
potential for drift, you also may not like the coverage you get.  Sounds
like Nick has older plantings and newer high density, so a slower speed may
be needed on the older trees.  We completed spray coverage analysis with
water sensitive cards last year in a tall-spindle orchard that was being
sprayed at 4mph and every-other-row.  Results showed variable coverage on
the row being sprayed and no coverage on the opposite row, especially on the
back sides of the leaves.

Dr. Andrew Landers, Cornell, discusses the role of travel speed and fan
speed to achieve spray penetration and coverage in his book, "Effective
Vineyard Spraying A Practical Guide for Growers".  This resource should be
on everyone's shelf.

Thanks,

Peter

=============================