From: apple-crop-boun...@virtualorchard.net
[apple-crop-boun...@virtualorchard.net] on behalf of David A. Rosenberger
[da...@cornell.edu]
Sent: Saturday, August 16, 2014 8:05 AM
To: Apple-crop discussion list
Subject: Re: [apple-crop] Apples From China?

I agree with you, Hugh, that government regulations are rarely “benign”, and
child labor restrictions that prevent young teenagers from gaining work
experience are one of my pet peeves.  Much of what I learned about agriculture,
work ethic, and the business world has come from growing up on a farm and then
working on another farm and at farm markets from ages 11 to 16.

However, experience has shown that, in the absence of laws, ruthless employers
will not pay $6/hr or perhaps even 60 cents per hour if they can get a needy
labor force to work for 6 cents per hour (after deducting meals and housing).
Our country decided the slavery issue in a bloody war many years ago, and most
of us have no desire to return to that era. While minimum wage laws may drive
up the price of production when a product is consider in the absence of
externals, the issue is less clear of one considers the social costs of low
wages. If the government does not provide any support for those at the low end
of the social scale, then they have no choice but to attempt living via
criminal enterprises and costs for guarding business investments increase.  In
some countries and some eras, farmers have been unable to prevent theft of
crops unless they posted guards around the fields 24 hr/day.  Would that be
less expensive than paying minimum wages?

Obviously not all crime is caused by poverty, and our society already has more
than enough crime even with minimum wage laws in place.  My point is that the
straight-line assumption that reducing wages reduces costs is overly simplistic
because it ignores the complexity of society and the unexpected costs of
“externals” that impact every business enterprise in a destabilized society.

I am currently on a trip during which my wife and I have driven nearly 2000
miles through PA, OH, MI, IN, IL, WI, and MN. It appears to me that the
interstate highway system is is worse condition now than at anytime since I
began driving 51 years ago. We have saved a lot of taxes by delaying
maintenance on highways and bridges, but as a result, all of us are paying more
for wear on our cars, delays due to slow traffic, and perhaps even increases in
accidents attributable to poor roads.  If the current trend continues, apple
growers will soon be obliged to ship apples only in trucks that have
air-cushion suspension because I suspect the rough highways will bruise apples
riding to market in trucks just as much as they bruise my butt riding in a
mid-size car. The need for a public highway system, along with numerous other
government “services”, illustrates why a functional government and taxation
system are essential for a civilized society.  There is certainly plenty of
government waste that should be eliminated, but I suspect that most of that
“waste” is actually going to the wealthy (think lobbyists, beltway bandits,
defense contractors, farm subsidies) rather than to the welfare segment of our
society.

Dave Rosenberger, Professor Emeritus
Dept. of Plant Pathology and Plant-Microbe Biology
Cornell’s Hudson Valley Lab, P.O. Box 727, Highland, NY 12528
       Office:  845-691-7231    Cell:     845-594-3060
        http://blogs.cornell.edu/plantpathhvl/blog-2014/

On Aug 16, 2014, at 2:35 AM, Hugh Thomas