Ricsi,

In laughingly speaking of cable modem speed, I said & you asked ...

On Sun, 02 Apr 2000 09:43:55 +0200 (CEST), [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Menedetter)
wrote:
> LB> I doubt the doze cable users on the system know the difference. <G>
> What do you mean by that statement ???

    At last count there were about 300 cable modem users on the city
cable system which is using my ISP for actual internet connect.  Of that
300 users, 299 use Win9x.  Windows is so bloated that if the connect and
through-put speeds increased 100 fold, the end user wouldn't notice much
improvement.

   I was being facetious [smart donkey] when I "whined" about how slow
my modem is.  I lived through the 235 bytes ps of a 2400 modem, and the
top speed I've ever seen under the best of conditions using compression
where it does the most good, on my 14.4 is about 2100 bytes ps.

So, no -- I did *not* expect to be able to download 34Megs in 3.4
seconds. <G>  I'm quite pleased with the 21,970 bytes per second I got
on the download.

I know that the "DOS based" Linux isn't "the real thing" but right now I
have the disk space to install it and don't have the time to split the
system into true multi-OS setup.  This will at least give me a chance to
become more familiar with Linux.

l.d.
-- Arachne V1.61, NON-COMMERCIAL copy, http://arachne.cz/