On Wed, 19 Apr 2000 17:55:35, Dale Mentzer wrote:

> Yes, me too, L.D. I think this was mentioned once some time ago and
> IIRC this can be caused by grapics that are labeled filename.jpg, but
> are in fact GIF's or some other format. I think the JPG converter
> relies on the filename to identify the format. I hope I am right
> about this and I am sure someone will correct my misinformation if
> indeed it is such.

 Well.... partly right.

On the server side, the file name extesion is used to determine which
"content/type" identifier to send to the browser.(client)
On the client side, the "content/type" is used to determine what to do
with the file.

That's why in mime.cfg each file downloaded from the web is given a line
such as this:

[MIME]
image/jpeg               JPG>BMP|$edjpeg32.exe $j $1 $2
image/png                PNG>BMP|$epng2bmp.exe -s -o $2 $1
image/x-png              PNG>BMP|$epng2bmp.exe -s -o $2 $1
(content/type sent by server)

--
Glenn McCorkle [EMAIL PROTECTED] North Jackson, Ohio, USA
DOS prog. for QV cameras http://www.angelfire.com/id/glenndoom/qvplay.html