Hi Charles,

> > I'd have thought you'd have had some Hugo outside that BASIC program
> > though.  What if you change *both* Hugos in the pipeline to `Nick'?
> > Do you know what format the hard disc was?  E?  F?  And was there
> > more than one partition on it, as was required when bigger hard
> > drives came along.
>
> No Nicks from either I'm afraid. I don't know anything about the
> formatting/partitioning of the drive, because the machine it came out
> of is completely goosed, and the person who set it up is sadly no
> longer with us.

OK, I don't understand why there's the lack of Hugo and Nick.

Does the acorn-fdisk package exist for your Linux?  It's on Debian
and Ubuntu.  It's -l option will examine the disc image and work out
which of the myriad of partitioning schemes used on Acorn machine it
has, and list the partitions.  Here it is on my `empty' ADFS image,
/tmp/hi.

    $ ./fdisk -l /tmp/hi

    Disk /tmp/hi: 16 heads, 63 sectors, 1024 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 bytes

      Device Boot   Begin    Start      End   Blocks     Id   System
    /tmp/hi1            0        0       39      19584    100  Filecore
    /tmp/hi2           39       39       39          1   fffe  Reserved/Free
    $

It creates an interesting /tmp/part.debug debug file.

It could be that the machine had a hard disc interface in it that used a
partitioning scheme that RISC OS doesn't know about, but the module on
the podule did.  Of course, arcem doesn't have that module and so RISC
OS's ADFS doesn't understand the disc.

> So I guess I need to find whole number factors of 42864640/256, and
> try those as a set of params in .arcemrc?

You can try that too.

    cylinders     299
    heads          35
    sectors        16