Hi Viktor, good question, and thanks for pointing out the inconsistencies
in the documentation. I will fix those sections up to be more clear.

The full answer about Mapnik is that it if you have 64-bit windows, you
will need to use a 64-bit Python installation (in order for other
dependencies to work), and Mapnik's Python bindings are currently only
supported for 32-bit. So, specifically, *on 64-bit Windows Mapnik can't be
installed because its Python bindings won't work.* The consequences of this
are actually pretty small: the Tilestache installation inside of Arches
will not be able to render its full complement of "Providers", i.e. data
sources that can be fed into Arches to create map overlays. Here is the
Tilestache documentation about providers,
http://tilestache.org/doc/#providers, and note that there are many
alternatives to Mapnik providers.

Hope that clears it up. It's a caveat, but a small one. You can see more
discussion about the issue here:
https://github.com/archesproject/arches/issues/1865.

Adam