Hi All,

As per the current implementation of the Identity Server's authentication
framework, it does not provide any OOTB authorization mechanism for the
service providers. We are going to provide this capability to Identity
server so that the users can be authorized to service providers using rules
based on user attributes, userstore, time of the day, etc.

Following is the proposed sequence for the implementation.

[image: Inline image 1]

The existing authentication flow is kept as is until the authentication
steps are completed and authentication result decided. At the
AuthenticationRequestHandler (after authentication) if the authentication
is success, we will be calling an AuthorizationHandler with the
authentication context. AuthenticationHandler is responsible for evaluating
the configured policies and responding back whether the user is authorized
or not. If the authorization is not required or handled by the SP
itself, we'll be providing the capability of bypassing the authorization
step per service provider .

The default implementation of the AuthorizationHandler will be using the
IS's XACML engine for authorization. It will send a XACML request to the
PDP and the request will be evaluated against the policies published to the
PDP. Admins can write XACML policies and publish them to allow/deny the
users logging into SPs based on those policies.

Also, to retrieve the basic authentication context values (such as SP Name,
authenticated user's username/userstore/tenant) we will provide a default
PIP. In case any complex or derived attributes are needed we can retrieve
them by writing a custom PIP and use them in the policies.

Please share your thoughts and suggestions.

--
*Pulasthi Mahawithana*
Senior Software Engineer

<https://wso2.com/signature>