On 04/09/16 17:50, Joseph Honold wrote:
> My idea is to use snap domes attached to a sticker and placed directly on the
> pcb which has exposed copper pads for contacts (keyboard matrix). The sticker
> could be laser (or hand) cut to any shape and snap domes hand placed (for
> prototype). The snap dome method is how most phones (and Zipit Z2, see my
> post https://mozzwald.com/articles/zipit-soft-keypad-mod) do it these days.
> The snap domes are available and I actually got a sample kit from Snaptron
> (http://www.snaptron.com). There are some far east manufacturers of snap
> domes also.

I've seen pictures of these, but I don't think I've used them more than
once or twice. I wasn't crazy about them, but they sure do seem like
they would make manufacture easier. How does their reliability compare
to other mechanisms?

> Before I found out about EOMA68 I was intending to make a raspi handheld
> using this keypad layout https://mozzwald.com/public/images/misc/keypad.png
>
> Are there any preferred keypad layouts?

That looks nice apart from the Esc key location. But I'm not sure where
I would move the Esc key to within that layout: I'd have to experiment
with it in my hands. Anyhow, users could re-map keys to suit their
tastes, so that kind of detail may be moot :)