On Tuesday 20. September 2016 09.36.39 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

>  thanks to idiots like elon musk the world's politicians and most
> people *genuinely* believe that there is enough lithium, neodymium and
> copper on the planet for every man, woman and child to own an electric
> vehicle.

I don't really want to weigh in on a topic that I don't have any specific
interest or expertise in, but my impression was (Musk aside) that nobody
really expects battery technology to stick with lithium or "rare earths".
Here, progress in materials science appears to be driving development towards
more mundane materials.

Paul