On Mon, 31 May 2021 19:57:51 -0600
"Dave Polaschek" <davepolasc...@fastmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a PineBook Pro, and would like to install OpenBSD, but it
> seems I need some help.
>
> I don’t have another machine to write an SD card or USB drive with an
> installer (I’m iOS-only currently), and with the stock Linux that
> came on the PineBook Pro, I can’t connect to ftp.openbsd.org. Or
> rather I can, but when I try to install online, I invariably get a
> dropped connection at some point. If I try via https, I can’t seem to
> reliably download an installer. I either drop the connection partway
> through, or get an installer that is too small.

Hello Dave.

Installing OpenBSD from network was slow in my experience too. With my
RPIs I had to do the installation between 10 and 30 times before all
the involved details had been worked out. At some point I just had
downloaded whole directory to my desktop PC and made it available via
HTTP. Then at the install time the installer just needs the custom HTTP
host and directory to get through the download step in no time.

You might want to take the same route using a cheap old PC with the OS
of your choice (which can also handle DHCP and the serial port console),
or maybe even a non-PC device if that floats your boat.

--
    Denis Ovsienko