Sure, I agree with you regarding the wider implications of Barro's argument.
If one accepts that a person with a high marginal product and a high income
imposes negative externalities on a low productivity person then all kinds
of growth-destroying intervention in a competitive economy can be possibly
justified. As an aside it does seem very hard to square barro's acceptance
of intervention in the baseball labour market with his general opposition to
intervention in other factor markets.

Donald McCarthy
Centre for Post-Collectivist Studies
Social Market Foundation