On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 10:53:27AM -0400, Robin Hanson wrote:
> But how many customers would find out?  And can companies really commit
> to not using such information in setting prices?  And if the customer
> doesn't report the bug they are less likely to see it fixed.

If companies could not commit to not using such information in other
ways, they can always offer to accept anonymous bug reports. The fact
that they don't do this (or don't publicize it) seems to indicate that
they are able to commit in some other way.

I'll also point out that software companies seem to successfully commit
to not negotiate prices, at least for certain classes of customers. For
example, I can't call Microsoft and tell them that I won't buy Windows ME
unless they give me a specific discount.