> fabio guillermo rojas wrote:
> >
> > I don't think you should focus so much on the median voter theorem.
> > The logic of median voter theorems is that politicians offer
> > policies that closely resemble the median voter's desires. This assumes
> > that politicians have direct influence over the policy in question.
>
> They could have a direct influence if they wanted to.  Neglecting a
> situation you could affect is just as easy for voters to punish as
> anything else.
>                         Prof. Bryan Caplan

I still think you are missing the point. By itself, politicians could
influence adoption laws and practices. But there are costs imposed by
many things: the ability of adoption workers to wage a political
campaign for the status quo, the mobilization of allies, the opportunities
lost while fighting adoption laws and the fact that not a single
major electoral victory as ever been won over adoption law.

It's as simple as this: people don't vote over adoption law. If someone
tried to campaign on it, I bet they'd get trumped by somebody campaiging
over issues that are proven vote getters.

Fabio