You are misinterpreting the function of these little issues.
Little issues don't "build up". Little issues tend to be signals to
certain constituencies. For example, nobody has ever lost the vote due to
rap music, but Clinton in 1992 signalled to many in the democratic party
that he wouldn't be held hostage by the Civil Rights wing of the party by
bashing rap star Queen Latifah. It's a low cost signal. Nobody will really
care if you bash a rap musician. Same for the community investment
act (I forget what this even is). I'd guess that few people
are explicitely against it, and it's a cheap way to signal to
political moderates that urban issues won't be forgotten by
either Gore or Bush.

Consider a similar move for adaoption law. Unlike rap, adoption workers
are considered experts in their field. They could bash you on the talk
shows. A politician who goes for adoption law as an issue might get
smeared as someone breaking up black families. How do you counter
that? Well, you could argue that having any parents is better than no
parents, but then you'd get into an emotional, difficult argument with
people who think that children get unintentially hurt by different
ethnicity parents, and that adoptions are moves by wealthy whites to steal
kids from blacks in financial straits. Basically, like most family issues,
it's messy and emotional issue that probably wouldn't yeild easy points
for a politician.

Fabio