I guess this is as good a subject as any for my first post to the list.

1.  Pay toilets are practically the norm throughout Europe.  In fact, a
company, operating under the oh so clever name of "Mc Clean", operates
restrooms in train stations across the continent.  Train station restrooms
that were formerly a haven for drug addicts and the homeless are now
efficiently (and profitably?) managed and cleaned by an international firm.

2. Many fast food restaurants in Europe charge a small sum for the use of
their bethrooms.

3.  It makes sense for fast food giants to keep their bathrooms free even if
they know that people will use them for free and not buy anything. It is a
form of customer service, since chances are that at some point everyone will
be a McDonalds customer.  It keeps the public happy and perhaps improves
their opinion of the fast food giants.

MH