Bryan D Caplan wrote:
> Actually, I was thinking about kids' amazing ability to learn
> languages, which involves massive memorization.

I'm told there are three kinds of long-term memory -- semantic (`the
capital of France is Paris'), episodic (events personally experienced)
and procedural (how to do stuff) -- and strength in one does not imply
strength in another.  Social cooperation depends on episodic memory,
language on the other two.

--
Anton Sherwood, http://www.ogre.nu/