--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
"I feel fairly confident in believing, however, that
he did not mean that the financial incentives would
produce CEOs with a militaristic or glory-seeking
bent."

So do I.  (BTW, I wouldn't consider the list of people
I gave to be 'militaristic,' although all were leaders
during war.)  However, I do see such an outcome as
being possible.  To increase stock price, the CEO must
make people want to move to the States in three
possible ways: make the States more desirable, the
rest of the world (ROW) less desirable, or some
combination.  Domestic problems can frequently be
knotty and politically dangerous.  It might pay for
the CEO to develop jingoistic, neo-mercantile policies
which might make the world worse off, but may benefit
the States at the expense of ROW.  So, for example,
the CEO could pursue int'l policies that would prevent
India from having a strong high-tech industry as a
means to get educated Indians to move to the States.
It seems to me that such a scenario degrading into
some of the lowest depths of mercantile excesses is
too likely to be a safe choice.

--- Eric Crampton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
"If the market price is too high for a liquidity
constrained poor person to come in, I'm sure that
there would be tons of companies selecting out the
hard working poor foreigners, buying them shares that
they're indentured to pay off."

Good point.  And it does depend on the market clearing
price as well, which you noticed and I did not.
Though at your estimated price of $700K per share, I
don't see alot of ROW poor coming and being able to
pay that off.  Of course, since that share is good
forever, they can pass the debt on to the child who
receives it, and so on.  However, since the price of
default would be deportation, and a person has to be
deported *somewhere*, the child could just choose not
to pay.  Do you think a firm would take the risk of
plunking down that kind of money for a
multi-generation debt?

I am curious why you used GDP as the basis for share
calcualtion.  I'm not attacking it, I just don't it's
appropriate.

Best wishes,
-jsh