--- Robin Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
"This is a confused about economics explanation....
They could spend the same effort they spent training
for the race and running it doing their usual kind of
job...."

That's a good point.  Of course, people who are
salaried can't get a few extra bucks by staying late
at the office since they're salaried.  Wage earners
really don't have that option, if every job I've ever
had is any indication, since taking overtime is
generally regarded as a cardinal sin except when
specifically mandated by the company.  They could get
part-time jobs during their normal jogging time, but I
don't see many help wanted ads asking for someone to
work for seven hours a week.  You'll have to convince
me that the extra-work option is viable.

They could sell Amway or Mary Kay for seven hours a
week, but then they'd give up that good healthy
exercise.  If they're going to exercise anyway, then
running isn't much sacrifice, as I suggested.

Best regards,
jsh