Hi.

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 9:09 AM, Hans-Ulrich
<hans-ulrich.kl...@uni-muenster.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am using the Affymetrix "MOUSEDIVm520650" chip. During the the
> normalization step for fragment length, the aroma software complains
> that no probes for enzyme 1 only exist (the same for enzyme 2). I
> found
> this discussion:
> http://groups.google.com/group/aroma-affymetrix/browse_thread/thread/880d164e7af6a849/3277e2d8870be696?lnk=gst&q=Mouse+diversity#3277e2d8870be696
>

> In the NetAffx annotation files, all probes have fragment length for
> both enzymes, although they are sometimes quite large. The affymetrix
> protocol says that the PCR works well for fragments between 200 and
> 1100bps. The annotation files for the Genome Wide SNP 6.0 arrays
> annotate fragments up to 2000bps.
>
> To use the aroma software, I want to modify the ufl file and set all
> fragment length entries < 45 or > 2000 to NA. Unfortunately, I have
> no
> plan how to do this. Can someone point me to appropriate
> documentation?

The how-to page 'Create a Unit Fragment Length (UFL) file' at

  http://aroma-project.org/howtos/CreateAUnitFragmentLengthFile

should be useful.  Make sure to not update the original UFL file, but
instead a renamed copy of it.

Bah, it's easier if I just write it:

# Get the UFL file
chipType <- "MOUSEDIVm520650";
ufl <- AromaUflFile$byChipType(chipType);

# Get the pathname of the source file
pathname <- getPathname(ufl);

# Create pathname of new file
path <- getPath(ufl);
tags <- getTags(ufl);
tags <- grep("HB", tags, value=TRUE, invert=TRUE); # Drop HB2010xxxx tag
tags <- c(tags, "filter45-2000", "HB20101105");
fullname <- paste(c(chipType, tags), collapse=",");
filename <- sprintf("%s.ufl", fullname);
pathnameD <- file.path(path, filename);
copyFile(pathname, pathnameD);

# Filter values
uflD <- AromaUflFile$byChipType(chipType, tags=tags);
for (cc in nbrOfColumns(uflD)) {
  fl <- ufl[,cc];
  idxs <- which(fl < 450 | fl > 2000);
  uflD[idxs,cc] <- NA;
} # for (cc ...)

# Update file footer
ftr <- readFooter(uflD);
srcFile <- list(filename=getFilename(ufl), filesize=getFileSize(ufl),
checksum=getChecksum(ufl));
ftr$srcFiles <- list(srcFile=srcFile));
writeFooter(uflD, ftr);

That should be it.