I think it's a matter of taste, nothing more.  I'm all for specific
constructive criticism within reason.  To hear "Rahman not living up
to his own standards" for every fricking release of his nowadays is
not within reason for me.  Ok, there are some fans not as happy with
Rahman's music today compared to the past. Of course they have a
right to express what they feel.  I have to accept that as THEIR
OPINION, not a fact.  Disappointed with the music for such and such
reason?  Fine with me.  Didn't like the song for such and such
reason?  Ok!  Rahman's not as good as he used to be?  That's not
getting past me!

You mentioned hardly any songs unliked in Rahman's earlier days.  Be
careful of confounding variables including novelty, change in sound,
music scene, music taste.  Judging Rahman's music certainly requires
an examination of the predominant music scene and most certainly,
Rahman's music STOOD OUT more in his early days than today.  To me,
that doesn't make his music from that time period superior or a
fulcrum by which to judge subsequent soundtracks.  IMO if you asked
Rahman himself whether his music has worsened over time or if he's
not living up to his own standards from the past, I think he would
scoff and say, of course not.  He sets the standard for himself each
time he releases an album for better or for worse.  I''m sure he has
his favorites, but I'm pretty sure he would be just as proud or
critical of his music back then as today.  Yes, I agree, his songs
have become more situational, but films too have become more specific
in theme in content with diverse storylines demanding different types
of music from Rahman.  Rahman is more selective today too.

I'm in my 30s.  I'm a relatively late oncomer to Rahman's music (mid
90s) but I enjoy all his music from day 1 to now.  I view him as a
progressive artist who is maturing at every step and willing to
experiment, even if all his experiments are not appreciated by the
masses or his fans. I am just as critical of his music from Roja to
Jodha Akbar and not all his music is appreciated by me.  In fact, I
find some of his music from his early days extremely radical and hard
to reach, far from appealing emotionally, although admittedly
brilliant on a left brain level. Yes, some of his best work IMO is
from his early days, but I also find some of his best work from
recent soundtracks too!

--- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, "Ranojoy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>