Pasting my reply here for those who have not visited my blog.

Hi Serge,

What an unnecessary apology  I want to thank you for caring enough to write
such a long comment !

About your question: "According to you, people who like this theme are ARR fans
who like whatever music he composes, am I right? " No!! That's not what I
meant. If you genuinely like it, then that's it. No issues! But for people who
don't genuinely like it, there's no need to force ourselves to support it all
costs just because it's a Rahman composition! As for me, it is because Rahman
has set the bar so, so high that I can't appreciate this song enough. Otherwise
it's perfectly fine. If I hadn't previously been exposed to gems like Roja,
Sangamam, Indhira, Vande Mataram and so many others, I would have liked this
song much more! That's what I meant to say.

Personally I don't care about comparisons with Shakira and others. It's living
upto Rahman's own super high standard that I am concerned with.