Mark,
Smart Monitoring from the LB is always a critical thing, yet the discussion
doesn't usually start till you have your exact situation and people start
looking into 'what can the LB do to determine if a web/app node is ACTUALLY
online'.  I've dealt with this in the past.  My solution for it was to
write a program that 'exercised' the Remedy system, log on, do some
queries, etc...whatever it is you feel is appropriate to verify that the
node is working properly.  Have that program 'do something' that the LB can
use to determine 'up or down'....as you found, port monitoring doesn't
work, not on the Remedy process at least....do you have any quality
programmers that can exercise Remedy server via API, and do something like
put a file on the filesystem that the LB can look for?