What version of Exchange are you working with?

I have a similar requirement, to work with shared calendars but I have been
holding out until we upgrade to Exchange 2016 and have access to the new
REST web services. I looked at some of the SOAP stuff, while powerful, I
didn't want to go the hard route when the easy route was right around the
corner.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2015/05/05/exchange-server-2016-architecture/
Extensibility

(scheduled for a future CU): Office 365 introduced the REST APIs (Mail
<https://msdn.microsoft.com/office/office365/APi/mail-rest-operations>,
Calendar
<https://msdn.microsoft.com/office/office365/APi/calendar-rest-operations>,
and Contact
<https://msdn.microsoft.com/office/office365/APi/contacts-rest-operations>
APIs),
and now these APIs are available in Exchange Server 2016. The REST APIs
simplify programming against Exchange by providing a familiar syntax that
is designed with openness (e.g., open standards support JSON, OAUTH, ODATA)
and flexibility (e.g., granular, tightly scoped permission to access user
data). These APIs allow developers to connect from any platform, whether it
be web, PC, or mobile. SDKs exist for.NET, iOS, Android, NodeJS, Ruby,
Python, Cordova, and CORS for use in single page JavaScript web apps.

What about Exchange Web Services (EWS)? All existing applications that
leverage EWS will continue to work with Exchange Server 2016. We are,
however, focusing new platform investments on the REST APIs and the apps
for Office extensibility model. We expect to make significantly fewer
investments in EWS so that we can focus our resources on investing in a
single modern API that will, over time, enable most of the scenarios that
our partners currently use EWS.