In the associated record you do not have a valid submitter record and
somewhere in you workflow you are validating the data in the submitter
field against your User records since there is not match in the old
record it fails or you have a blank entry  in consolidated list and you
have submitter mode locked.

EMPOWERING > People - Talent - Technology

Stephen Waller
Remedy Practice  Manager

Dibon Solutions, Inc.
2009 Chenault Drive