Can you execute the query that took the 25 seconds from the ARS Server
Machine? I assume you executed it on the SQL System...

Has it always been this way, or has something changed lately?

One thing to check is the Network connections/performance between the SQL
Server & ARS Server (I like iPerf.exe myself)

If you are running Gig-E, check that the NIC Cards are configured for FULL
Duplex, and the SWITCH is configured for FULL. (Do not allow AUTO on any
settings, as this has known isssues)

Check the database for enough "free space", SQL Server hangs when expanding
the data-files so to say.

However you are on the correct stance, API+SQL... From the database
standpoint you can always turn on Profiler, and record any query/update
which takes longer than 10 seconds to execute, etc. Then manual compairson
between API+SQL & Profiler...

Lastly, if you remove console (or go to) the ARS Server, using User Tool, do
you see the same performance results? And are your users utilizing the
client or web??

Good luck