From: McClure, Don
Sent: Fri 18-Apr-08 16:13
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Slightly OT--US Govt Security Clearances (was: Job: Two Openings ....)

Another item for folks not familiar with the situation,
including non-security-cleared Remedy folks considering
such engagements--The entire situation is chicken-and-egg
(or, perhaps, Catch-22!!!).

It is(or was, last I knew) generally very difficult for an
INDIVIDUAL to initiate request for a US Gov't security clearance
(Defense, Energy, Transportation, others).The prospective EMPLOYER
must initiate request, certifying nature of duties to be performed
by that person once cleared. Of course, we all know the employer
wants to make certain the person is eligible before expending
any money on salary or expenses of the clearance itself.....

Too many years in defense & transportation work......and hearing too
often that an existing employee would not be cleared, even when eligible,
because relationship of duties-to-safeguarded-information was not
evident to clearing agency!  And that was when a standard Secret
clearance took approx ten weeks.....

Don W. McClure, P.E.
Data Administrator & System Engineer
Computing & IT Center, Call Tracking Administration
University of North Texas, Denton
dwmac_at_unt.edu

"That which counts cannot necessarily be counted: that which can be counted=
 will not always count."  -- Albert Einstein