We have used a Perl script that uses the runmacro command line utility
(from our Solaris ARS server) to export data hourly and daily for data
backups from the application level for a few years now.  The down side
to this approach is that we are doing a separate login per ARS Form to
get the data, but we have yet to think we need to do any of this work
in parallel too. (So the process is serially backing up each form as
it loops through the Forms list.) So we know we can cut these times in
about half by just backing up two forms at a time too. Oh and the Perl
script has enough logic added to it to have excluded and mandatory
include lists so that we can totally control what forms are backed up
and when. The script also takes a command line parameter for the query
to use to do the backup task for that set of forms on that specific
run of the script. Anyway... We do occasionally also get "timeout"
errors in these processes, but since these are our secondary backups
(first backups are RDBMS backups, with transaction logs) we do not
worry about those to much.

FWIW:
Our incremental backups, that gets all data changed that day,
currently can backup about 10788 data rows in 166 ARS Forms in about
10 minutes.

Our nightly full backups backup 3294763 rows in about 5.5 hours for
the same 166 ARS Forms.

We also do a separate once a week full backup for our single largest
form. That currently backs up 2134886 rows and takes about 4.5 hours
for the single form.

HTH.

--
Carey Matthew Black