I am not sure I can explain why you got that error, I haven't really
encountered that kind of an error before but then again I haven't worked on DSO
on a server group environment.
However if you are concerned about failure of the admin server, then there is
not much you need to be worried about. On the event the admin server fails, the
server group looks at the next server configured in the Server Ranking form
rank-wise.. The lower the rank the higher the weight of the server. So a server
ranked with rank 1 will generally be your admin server, assuming it was the
first that was brought up on your network..
If the server with rank 1 fails, the server with rank 2 will pick up where 1
left.. even after 1 is brought up again, 2 will continue to be the admin server
until it is brought down or fails whatever happens earlier.. After 2 is brought
down or fails, 1 will resume admin operation if it is already up, else the
server with rank 3 will take admin operations if there is a third server..
So at any point of time you will have at least one admin server up...
NOTE that you will manually have to configure the Server Ranking form for their
ranks... each server will have 10 entries in this form each entry representing
a kind of admin operation. You will need to put a rank against each of these
entries.. Ideally you put the same rank for all entries for a given server. So
server A gets rank 1 for all its 10 entries, Server B gets rank 2 for all its
10 entries, and so on.
These ranks will decide which would be the next admin server in the event of
failure of the current admin server.
So as far as a developer is concerned, when an admin server does go down, all
you would need to do is logout of the one that you were connected to and log
into the server that has assumed the admin operations.. The general end user is
not impacted at all during such failures..
Hope this helps..
Joe