From: "Moore, Christopher Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Sent: Thursday, June 5, 2008 9:56:53 PM
Subject: Cautionary tale? SQL Replication service and Remedy

**
Hey everyone-

Has anyone had any experience using the SQL replication ability built into
2005?  I don’t know much about it- apparently it’s a function which looks at
transaction logs and uses them to create and maintain a separate instance of a
DB.  Our DBA was planning to use it to create a separate DB for reporting.

He turned it on last Friday and now our database is for all intents and
purposes unusable and we’re on the verge of restoring from a backup created
last Thursday and losing a weeks worth of work- salvaging what we can of
course.  I’m not a DB expert, but the problem seems to be that the replication
service somehow keeps the schema table from updating correctly, so Remedy is
looking for tables/views that are either incorrect or don’t exist.

The first manifestation of a problem came Monday when creating a field using
the class manager.  The change created an error with the message ‘An object
named H208 already exists on the server’.  The next day when people tried to
update that CI they got an error that C########## was an invalid column name,
and the number corresponded to the field ID I had tried to create.  We could
search on the form, but not modify any records.  Looking at the base forms in
the admin tool revealed that the field was indeed created.  I called BMC
support at this point (having no idea the replication service could be to
blame).  There was no table H208, but there was a view H208.

He had me delete the pending change and told me to open the forms in the admin
tool to delete the field.  Trying to do so on the base regular form gave the
error that I couldn’t delete it because it was referenced by a join form.
Trying to remove it from the join gave me the same ‘Object named H208 already
exists on the server’ error.

BMC support seemed stumped.  I made a simple change on a different form on the
dev system and got a string of warnings along the lines of “Field : Closed
Date: Creation of one of the SQL views for the form failed within the SQL
database.”  I then contacted the DBA to ask if his change the previous Friday
could have possibly done anything and he was sure it could not have.  I tried
adding a field via the class manager on the dev server to test it and got the
same error (object H208).  I had the DBA remove the replication and restarted
the server and tried again- no error.  The replication service somehow screws
up the database on form changes.

Now we knew the cause but the fix was the problem- for several days we had been
unable to update information in our computer systems form.  Then today it got
much worse.  A caller had been getting an error when trying to open a form in
search mode- ARERR300 MALLC error.  A second user reported it so we decided to
restart the server to free up memory (fortunately it was already after hours).
Once the server came back up and we logged in we got a new error- the home page
would load but the application list was empty and we got an error 1900- could
not set application list.  For the users of the client this wasn’t
insurmountable- they can use the object list; however 90% of our users only use
the web, so they get to the home page and are stuck.

Additionally, tickets of a high or critical priority cannot be created as such-
they much be put in as a 3 or 4 then saved then moved up to a 1 or 2. Also P1
and P2 tickets cannot be resolved- some of the work we’ve done requires a P2+
to be related to a CI on resolution and that no longer works.

I called BMC back and have been getting bounced around the world’s call
centers.  They’ve requested multiple logs, but I’m not very confident they will
have a fix.  Tomorrow is going to be pretty exciting…

Anyone heard anything about this sort of thing happening with the replication
service in SQL?

Thanks,
Chris
 __Platinum Sponsor: www.rmsportal.com ARSlist: "Where the Answers Are" html___