Probably because there is such a _long_ list of things in the ITSM 7, AIE 7,
and SLM 7 applications that you have to manually fix after the restore.  I am
still discovering and documenting new ones.  So far I have documented these
over the last month+.  It might be a little choppy since they were added as I
worked, and I may have missed some.  Some changes in User Preferences were done
while trying to get several installed User Tools to stop trying to load
something from the production server while logging in to the restored
development server, even after removing every temporary file we could find.  We
finally uninstalled (completely) the User tool and reinstalled it, so it was
something stored locally, not on the server.

Generic List of Restore and Post Restore Actions

Refresh development environment from production
        Backup snapshot of development environment
        Backup license file for development to C:\arsystem.lic
        Copy latest full backup from <production> from <Prod DB Server> drive
E:\SQLBACKUPS to <Dev DB Server> E:\ProductionSnapshot
        On <Dev DB Server>, restore db from that <production> latest backup
        Change db owner from <production account> (used for <production> and
<failover>) to <development account>
        Connect Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio to <Dev DB Server>
        Start BMC Remedy Action Request System Server service
                Will give unlicensed error in log file
        Start User Tool, Login as admin, open Add or Remove Licenses
                Update server license to development keys by Import Licenses
from File from C:\arsystem.lic
        Restart the BMC Remedy Action Request System Server service

        Change AREmail Configuration
                Email Profile <production account>

        Update Kinetic Request Service Item URLs
                Update Configuration
                        Default Web Server =
http://development_webserver.fqdn:9080/kinetic/
                        Escalation Server  = <development>.fqdn
                        Mid-Tier Server Name
=http://development_webserver.fqdn:8080/arsys/
                        Change Kinetic Request License Key to one for
<development>.fqdn
                        Change Survey Lite License Key to one for
<development>.fqdn

                Update ALL Service Items - Web Server URL on Advanced tab -
Select new and Save
                Change License Key to development

        Update Kinetic Calendar
                Update Configuration
http://development_webserver.fqdn:9080/KinCal/
                        Change Calendar Lite License Key to one for
<development>.fqdn

Other Data or server reference updates:
        CAI Application Registry
                In Connection tab, change all Server names from
<production>.fqdn to <development>.fqdn
        Report
                Change server name to <development>.fqdn or <development>
        KMS:Administration_Integration
                Change Server Name and Short Description

        Change server name in custom filter Push Fields Action
                +EDS:PersonShadow-CreateARUserPreference01
                +HPD:KS_CAL:SHR_Set_MidTier_URL

        AR System User Preferences
                Change Report Server values from <production> to <development>
for any user account you are going to log in with on development

        AR System Administrator Preferences (may be okay since admins switch
between servers)
                Partial List Settings - Partial List Details:
                Other - Pack List Settings

        AR System Searches Preference
                Delete records from original server

        AR System User Central File
                Delete records for user

        KS_RQT_ServiceCatalog_base
                Change URL in all entries to development Kinetic web

        SLM:ConfigPreferences
                Update Dashboard MidTier URL

        SLM:RuleActionSetValue_base
                Found four records to change with SLA_destination Server Name =
<production>.fqdn
                Changed all of them to "@"

        Active Links that contain server references
                CHG:CCMCalendar:PrintActionWUT

Reinstall and Reconfigure AIE and all Data Exchanges
        Reinstall AIE instance for development (if 7.1 patch 002 remember the 3
hotfix files)
                Resets values in EIE:BackupLoadFlag (schema 1401) from
production to development
                ARS_<production>(22700)_EIE_<aieserver>_Inst_00# --->
ARS_<development>(22700)_EIE_<aieserver>_Inst_00#
                        (Can be changed manually in the form)
        Revise all active Data Exchanges [reflects custom settings in our AIE
data exchanges, where the source db has change flags for both dev and prod
environments]
                Open the AR System Form Mappings
                        Open each active AR Mapping
                        Update the RunUpdate source field
                                Select EDS:UNTPerson_Shadow.RunUpdate and
change the Data Store Field to dbo.IDM_User.RunUpdateDev and Modify
                                        ...or you will post "0" from RunUpdate
and nothing works!!
                        Update the Response Field Mapping
                                Select the Mapped Attribute, then Change the
External Data Store Field from RunUpdate to RunUpdateDev, then click Modify
                        Update the Query - Data Key Query - External Data Store
Query
                                Change "RunUpdate = 1 AND RIGHT(workforceID,1)
= 0" to "RunUpdateDev = 1 AND RIGHT(workforceID,1) = 0"
                        Save and Close
                Open the Data Exchanges
                        Open each active Data Exchange
                        Re-select the Instance Name so that the
                        In the Connection Settings, change to the default
destination AR Server = Yes (after reinstall of AIE) since record is still
<production>.fqdn.
                                OTHERWISE THE DATA WILL BE PUSHED TO THE WRONG
SERVER!!!!
                        Save the Data Exchange Record

AIE is a huge pain, and if you forget a step your first development data run
will update the production AR server customers instead of the development ones.
 It's always exciting to kick off a test process and watch the wrong server
respond!

I didn't document it at the time, but in a previous iteration last winter, just
before implementation, I restored production to development and worked on
testing SLAs.  As I recall they all had to be rebuilt, including the data
sources, service agreements, and service targets with milestones, after the db
had been restored, but I won't have notes on that until I do some work with SLM
on the current dev server.

Anyone else who has fought their way through this, please contribute to the
list of knobs one has to turn afterwards.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Call Tracking Administration Manager
http://itsm.unt.edu/

ITSM 7.0.02.007 (Incident, Problem, Change Management);
Remedy Knowledge Mgmt 7.2.00.001(1702); Service Level Mgmt 7.1.00.01+, AIE
7.1.00.003+;
Kinetic Request 4.0.3.3, Survey Lite 4.0.3.3, Calendar Lite 1.2+;
on AR Server, Approval, Assignment, Mid-Tier, and Flashboards 7.1.00.002
(AREmail Patch 004 debug)
on: Win2K3 Ent x64 Sp2 / SQL Server 2005 x64 Sp2